Since ancient times it is known about the impact of odors on the emotional and physical well-being. Antiseptic and wound-healing properties of essential oils, their toxic effect, their ability to increase efficiency were used during many centuries. Nowadays aromatherapy is experiencing a real boom as a healing method.
The use of essential oils
Beginning from the fifth century BC, people have learned to extract fragrant drugs from various plants. Fragrances are volatile, and dissolve in fats – in order to achive better preservation of flavor. The antimicrobial properties of spices were widely used for the prevention of the spread of infectious diseases, for the disinfection of the premises by the fumigation of air at religious ceremonies. With the help of essential oils there was carried embalming, they were added to the building materials in the construction of temples.
In modern conditions healing effect of essential oils is used through the sense of smell (through inhalation, inhalation treatments), ingestion and through the skin – massage, blending compresses, baths, etc. Essential oils protect against bacteria, viruses and microbes, affect the biochemical processes in the body, normalize metabolism and overall healthier body.
Thanks to many beneficial properties of essential oils, they are widely applied in cosmetics, as well as at home – for a variety of palliative procedures to increase vitality. Smells of aromatherapy have beneficial effect on the physical and emotional state. There are many subtleties of aromatherapy – each essential oil has unique properties.
To protect yourself from fake or diluted low-quality raw materials, it is important to understand what the product is in front of you. When buying pay attention to the following points:
- It is quite hard to determine the quality of the oil, so it is recommended to buy products of famous brands;
- Carefully read the inscription on the label – it must contain the Latin name of plant material, as well as the “100% natural essential oil” wording. This product is extracted from natural, environmentally friendly raw materials;
- The essential oil is stored and sold in containers of dark glass – in order to avoid damage in cause of sunlight;
- Check that the seal is on the lid, the shelf life;
- The product with a high quality can not be cheap. Only conifers and citrus essential oils have the relatively low prices.
Application peculiarities of essential oils
Essential oils have considerable penetration ability, so there are several ways to use them. When applying oils, the following nuances should be considered:
- Define the oil smell – take cue from your feelings.
- It is recommended to test the application of essential oil with the minimum dosage. If there is a positive effect, the oil concentration should be gradually increased, not exceeding the maximum allowed. It is not recommended to apply the same essential oil for more than 10 days in a row;
- The majority of essential oils when applied directly to the skin can cause burns, so it is recommended to use the intermediaries, which will ensure safe transportation of nutrients. Testing of essential oil should be carried out by adding 2-3 drops of a quarter teaspoon or any of the usual cream – so, you will protect yourself from allergic reactions.
The rules of procedures at home
Aromatherapy is a natural and useful way to calm your nerves, get rid of many ailments, create a home atmosphere of harmony and comfort, achieve complete relaxation and gain strength for new achievements. It is easy to experience aromatherapy at home. Feeling of the healing power of essential oils, you will return to them again and again.
It is not a problem to use a spray bottle filled with water with a few drops of oils. In addition, you can use the means at hand or special accessories for aromatherapy.
Unlike drug treatments, aromatherapy is characterized by a minimum of contraindications and side effects. Effects of essential oils are well established, and they are quite safe to apply. It should be borne in mind that there are contraindications to the use of certain types of essential oils in the following cases:
- For pregnant women and epileptics;
- For those with a tendency to allergic reactions, allergic rhinitis with hay;
- During the course of treatment with homeopathic preparations;
- In thrombophlebitis and coronary heart disease (due to increased blood clotting) and renal diseases.
When heart disease and asthmatic conditions you should consult a doctor.
Essential oils are recommended to be used with caution for sensitive skin, as well as high blood pressure. Some aromatic oils are not recommended for children under 6 years old, because they can provoke anxiety, and cause insomnia.